Friday, December 3, 2010

Where in the world is that Pam Turlow and why hasn't she been posting on her blog?

Doing research, in a way.

Earlier this year, Ben and I purchased a trip to Walt Disney World. Then the economy got itchy and jobs got tight and I came very close to canceling the trip. At the very last, and I do mean last minute, we decided it was more important to go than not to go. Besides that, everything was paid for, including food and tickets, thanks to some gift cards and Disney Visa points, plus the cancellation fees would've been just plain dumb for us to have to pay and there would be much crying and gnashing of teeth - especially on Ben's part, as this was a Birthday Extravaganza in the planning for him for at least five years.

So we went. The past week was spent away from computers, away from TVs (except for those that were set up at various rides to show guests what to expect or to spell out safety requirements)and away from things that have sapped us both of our energy, our sense of play, and our usual happy demeanor.

In a way it was research, but more so it was pure escape and fantasy and relaxation. When I tour the parks for the book, I'm ion writing mode, book mode, information absorption mode, so I don't enjoy the parks as I would as a simple, paying customer.

Will I include WDW in my book? Yes, in a way I will. As I plan to include Disneyland.

"But these are huge, well-funded mega parks, Pam! You can't do that! Plus, WDW turns 40 NEXT year, not THIS year! Stop the insanity and get back to the small parks where you belong!"

But if it wasn't for Children's Fairyland, the small fairytale-themed park, there wouldn't be a Disneyland. And if Disneyland never existed, Walt's dream of Disney World would never have been realized.

While they may not have their own chapters, or be counted as one of the 40 parks, both Disney parks will find their way into the book because what Walt Disney brought to the world, places where children and adults could play together, where imagination has its own "happy place", is inextricably linked to the souls of all vintage parks. Disney's spirit has definitely infused itself into the fiber of the message behind my book. And for that, I'm ever grateful. And homage will be made.

We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together. Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment