Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So much time and so little to do - strike that. Reverse it.

Willy Wonka knew what he was talking about. Perhaps, unbeknownst to us, he was planning a vintage amusement park journey as well. I've always thought he was bequeathing the chocolate factory to Charlie because he himself was terminal or something (think back to the final scene in the original film, where Wonka sits in his half room. Was this a reflection of how he saw himself: half a man, ready to die? Always wondered...)

ANYWAY -- I've visited 15 parks thus far; I've got 25 to go. But where and how do I narrow my focus? What I'm loosely planning is to tackle them in groups wherever that's possible: a group of eastern PA parks, NY state parks, parks that dot New England, and, of course, southern CA parks. But scattered about the country are parks who, like the chesse, stand alone. Carousel Gardens in New Orleans. Flintstones' Bedrock park in Custer, SD. Two parks that are drawing me like flies to molasses up in OR.

So in the next few weeks, an actual schedule will be assembled. And Cotton Candy Twins will Unite again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment