Thursday, March 11, 2010

Yabba Dabba Huh?

If you look at it on the map, it's intimidating. Having done the drive twice before in my life, I can vouch for the fact that it IS intimidating.

The trek from the greater Chicagoland area, through Wisconsin, across Minnesota, westward to South Dakota, then finally the Badlands, culminating in the Rapid City area and the Black Hills.

It's been seven years since I've been "home" in the Hills. Ben and I went there for our 5th anniversary and it was glorious. Now we're going back and we're driving the whole way. And back. The trip will be broken up with visits to Wisconsin and Minneapolis so Ben can visit coaching federations and wow 'em with his knowledge. For me, this trip is about the Cotton Candy opportunities, specifically Arnold's Park in Iowa and the fabled Flintstone's Bedrock City in Custer, South Dakota.

Arnold's looks like a delightful vintage park, a fact my friend whose been there whole heartedly agrees with. But the westward ho, across the plains we go pilgrimage is specifically for the little park in Custer, SD. Yes. We're making the trip out to South Dakota specifically to visit Bedrock. Twist, twist.

And this time, I'm going to take close inventory of each and every Wall Drug sign I see. I'm looking forward to the free ice water already.

No comments:

Post a Comment