Thursday, November 18, 2010

Coney Island. Or maybe Luna park? Okay then -- Dreamland. No, wait...




http://amusingthezillion.com/2010/11/01/out-with-the-old-in-coney-island-only-2-of-11-boardwalk-businesses-invited-back/

Check out this link for a sobering article on how so much of what gave Coney Island its soul is tragically being sent out to pasture. Many of the iconic businesses are not having their leases renewed. In with the new. Which sometimes isn't the best course to follow.

All in all, I still want to include Coney Island in my book, because although there's not an actual vintage amusement park that has at least three vintage rides, Coney Island itself has three rides which are listed in the National Register of Historic Places: the Cyclone rollercoaster, the Wonder Wheel, and the Parachute jump. It has two new parks named after long-gone vintage ones: Luna Park and Dreamland. So as far as I'm concerned, these disparate facts add up to one definite trip to plan.

So it seems a visit to Coney Island puts you in a position to decide what you want to get out of it. Of course, I choose to focus on the vintage, the kitsch, and the spirit of the place. I look forward to a little grime here, the sounds of rickety coaster chains (hopefully not too rickety...), and the shadows of days past tapping me on the shoulder, asking me if they can guess my weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment