Friday, April 2, 2010

"The Best Day of My Life"

While sitting and writing at my favorite coffeehouse, I was handed a photocopied note by an elderly gentleman. He was a bit in-my-face, but in a charming way, with the inner buoyancy of a character out of a Frank Capra film, and he handed me a printout which shares the title line with the title line of this blog entry.

It starts with this: "Today, when I awoke, I suddenly realized this is the best day of my life, ever!". It goes one to remind you to be grateful for every little thing you have, which is something most of us forget about. We wake up in the morning and, quite often, are struck by all the "gotta do's" and agendas and grinds we must accomplish and we're knocked off-track, starting our day on the left side of our brain rather than the right, the logical and stuffy.

As I skimmed through the page, I came upon this line: "Today, i will share my excitement for life with other people. I will make someone smile. I will go out of my way to perform an unexpected act of kindness for someone I don't even know."

And then it caught me, the fact that this older gentleman had done just that for me. Maybe he recognized the furrow in my brow, the list of things IRS, Dad-in-assisted-living, attorney-focused, and "good-lord-the-house-is-a-sty" related. And he decided I was someone in need of something positive and out-of-the-blue.

I thanked him and now I thank you for reading this and I pass along the same good wishes my very own Clarence the Angel gave me.

This very well could be the Best day of Your Life. I'm pretty sure it's mine -- until tomorrow, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment