Monday, October 3, 2011

Vintage Amusement Park Haunted House Attractions

Can you feel it?  The veil between worlds is getting thinner.  It's finally October, one of my most favorite months of the year, due to its Spooky Quotient.  I'm in the throes of putting up my vast collection of Halloween decorations, including my witch dolls, a collection which has grown by leaps and bounds in the recent past.  The downstairs bathroom, which has a Disneyland theme, is now decked out with a sinister Mickey Mouse (well, as sinister as he egts) as Dracula and a mini Doombuggy.

Looking back on my Roadtrip, a variety of haunted house attractions totally spookified me.  Some were the blood-running-down-the-walls variety, while others were rather charming.  Here's a mere sampling:

The Santa Cruz Boardwalk Haunted Mansion has one of THE best special effects I've seen in any haunted attraction.  It involves a menacing presence in a scary swamp.  Go there -- you need to see it for yourself.

The dreaded Gum Wall is an attraction like no other.  Catch it at Conneaut Lake Park's Devil's Den.  Well, don't actually catch it, cuz you might catch something.  Just let your ride vehicle go by it...

Deno's on Coney Island has a wicked-cool dark ride, the Spook-a-rama, wherein you'll... no.  It would be a tragedy if I told you.  just go see it.  


And finally, there's Rye Playland with three dark rides, each a true treasure.  Here's the one that features zombies, as the name might suggest.  But I simply CAN'T give any details; you gotta see it in person:

Been sufficiently spookified?  No?  Then how about Grandma Fortune Teller at Deno's?


Yep - thought so.  That should hold you for this blog post...

No comments:

Post a Comment