Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"I'm the pink flamingo on the lawn of life."



I'll give full credit where it's due: one of my best friends, Gail, is a pink flamingo enthusiast and my title line here is her credo. It speaks to her uniqueness and her willingness to stand out in a crowd. Gail is a truly original, inventive person with a bubbly gusto for life.

Her love of the tropical bird comes, well, I'm not entirely sure how it developed, but it's been a throughline for her as long as I can recall; Gail and I go back over twenty years. I've been a willing enabler in her quest for all things Groovy and Flamingoey: Gail has an eclectic collection of Flamingo statuettes, glassware, jewelry, and a retro 50s wall mirror(which would go well in Don Draper's foyer), formerly my Dad's.

Silver Springs' very own flamingo family is pictured here, in all their sunset-tinged glory.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I've become blog fodder. Cher, eat your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but Cher doesn't have a credo like yours. I mean, be real.

    ReplyDelete