Friday, August 5, 2011

Rockin' it, old school.

I can hardly catch my breath after the amazing onslaught of history, charm, grime, magic, wonder and hope I encountered today.  I'm tired, I'm spent, I'm slightly tipsy after a glass of pinot grigio.  What I will tell you is this:  I'm rolling along through the last leg of my Road Trip, on the East Coast, where I'll tackle 9 parks (yes, you read that correctly) in less than a week.

What have I seen so far?  The sweetness and childhood hope of Storybook Land.  The perfect summer evening at Gillian's Wonderland (and some might fine coconut macaroon ice cream).  Keansburg Park's embrace of the old and new. And Coney Island's cornucopia of Wonder Wheel, red hots, red hot mamas, freak shows and amazingly sad/happy/glittery/seamy history.

I'm going to sleep well tonight.  Very well.  Because I'm Cotton Candying again, winding down this tremendous journey, and collecting some of the most incredible, heart-wrenching stories yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment