Saturday, August 28, 2010

A love story.




Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne were the most famous married stage actors of the 20th century. They were so popular they even had a Broadway theatre named after them -- imagine! When they weren't onstage (always together -- it was part of their contract. That's star power!), they summered at their charming estate, Ten Chimneys, located in Genessee Depot, WI.

While traveling from Milwaukee to Madison yesterday, after a morning voice-over job and a swell coffee and Italian cookie-filled visit with my friend Connie, I came upon the exit for Ten Chimneys and had a "What the heck? When will I be out here next?" moment and drove 10 miles or so out of my way to visit the Chimneys, where Alfred & Lynn entertained the likes of Helen Hayes, Katherine Hepburn and Lawrence Olivier ("Larry" ahd his own guest room, masculine-yet-elegant, much like its occupant).

What struck me most about the property was its sense of creative play, it's spirit of unbridled creativity and possibility -- and its deeply emotional energy. Never took an historical walking tour before where I left misty-eyed. The couple were married for over fifty years. Soulmates and playmates. (And I know what that feels like, thanks to my wonderful Ben).

Alfred & Lynn -- thank you for being the catalysts for so much possibility -- and for reminding us all that life is truly open to our own design.

No comments:

Post a Comment