Sunday, January 22, 2012

Goodnight, Bruce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uALqMMC8mg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKhPqQM4do&feature=relmfu

Jaws Ride in Orlando

As part of my hubby Ben's life coaching activities, he does presentations for various chapters of the ICF, the International Coaching Federation.  This upcoming week, he'll be down in sunny Florida, presenting at a variety of chapters; I'll be going with (which is quite a blessing as it's been below freezing in Chicago for days now.  I look forward to my cracked knuckles healing).

Part of the fun of these visits includes downtime.  And, since I've been Cotton Candying, that downtime has been peppered with amusement park visits.  So when Ben said we'd be going down to Florida, I immediately thought of Universal Studios Orlando - and the "Jaws" ride.

I've mentionined in previous posts that I'm a "Jaws" geek.  It's my favorite film, I know all the lines, and don't even think of testing that prowess in the form of a drinking game, ending in a recitation of Quint's "Indianapolis" tragedy monologue and several rounds of "Show Me the Way to go Home" cuz I'll take you down to Chinatown and you'll have a gangster of a headache in the morning.

So it pained me to the core, knocked me flat against the wall, when I learned that Universal is closing the "Jaws' ride forever.  The "Jaws" ride is the oldest ride at the park; it's a classic and should be embraced and honored, like the Jungle Cruise at Disney.  But, no, in their infinite wisdom, Universal is closing it and so I say "Boo!" to their ass faces, as would a Corky Sinclair from "Waiting for Guffman".  Because I've been waiting to enjoy this ride for a very long time - and those bastard people took it away from me. 

Luckily, a shortened version of a "Jaws" experience still exists at Universal in California - I've seen that one and, although it's only part of the studio backlot tour, I guess it'll have to do.

For those who wish to relive the "Jaws" ride, the classic at Universal Florida, please follow the links at the top.  Or, for folks like me, watch and weep for the ride never rode, and give Bruce the Shark a solid round of thanks for leaping out at unsuspecting visitors of "Amity Island" for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment